People make many silly mistakes while giving an interview and these mistakes can be overcome by the 2 P's i.e. Patience and Preparation. It is said that a successful interview is a presentation that marries the job-seeker's personality and professional experience to the needs of the hiring manager and the company. Here are some tips which shall help you in blowing the interviewer's mind:
1. Research thoroughly: Take some time, in advance, to use the Internet to discover as much information as you can about the company. Spend time, as well, tapping into your network to see who you know who can help give you an interview edge over the other candidates. Browse through the company website , see their latest products and offers , know the history of the company , their total worth etc.
2. Be positive: During the interview, stay positive and avoid bad-mouthing previous employers.Remember, the job interview is a platform to market yourself. It is a strategic conversation with a purpose. Your goal is to persuade the employer that you have the skills, background and ability to do the job and that you can comfortably fit into the organisation and its culture.
3. Communicate well: Develop your verbal communications skills. Having great management or technical skills and a strong record of accomplishment is not helpful if you can't verbally convey you successes.
4. Give Examples: Be ready with some examples from your life by practicing specific anecdotes that highlight your accomplishments and the ways in which you dealt with challenges in your past roles. Be prepared to share ideas of what you would bring to the position.
5. Groom well: Like it or not, appearance is also an important aspect in getting you a job.
Some basic guidelines to follow are:- Be clean and neat, including your fingernails, teeth, shoes, hair and face
- Conservative two-piece business suit in a basic color
- Empty pockets-no bulges or tinkling coins/keys, etc.
- No gum, candy or cigarettes
- Light briefcase or portfolio case
- No visible body piercing (noise, eyebrow, tongue, etc.) -wear minimum jewelry and cologne
- Arrive ten minutes early and arrive alone
- Smile; be friendly
- Demonstrate a positive attitude
- Use good eye contact
- Shake hands firmly
- Use good manners
- Don't interrupt and don't argue.
- Take resumes and/or other pertinent information.
6. Introduce yourself properly: Try to start your introduction with a quote and relate yourself to that quote. Make it look as if you are talking to a friend and not with a superior. The beginning and the conclusion should be properly made. Below is an example for the correct introduction:
"Hi, my name is James. I was born and brought up in New Jersey. My father owns a business of clothes and my mother is a homemaker. I have a brother who is pursuing his education. I did MBA from the University of Michigan and I have an experience of 3 years in the field of management. I have chosen this field as I love this field and the challenges it poses.
Coming to my hobbies, I like reading books as I like to keep myself updated with new things happening around and it also helps me in improving my knowledge. I like reading fiction very much. I also enjoy cooking because it requires a high level of skill and precision. I love to travel and see new places.
My strengths are my confidence, hardworking nature and positive attitude. One instance where my strengths really came in handy was in my graduation. Mathematics was (and is) very tough and I could never get along with it. Everybody thought that I wouldn't pass but I had confidence in myself that I would definitely pass. I worked hard and in the end, staying positive really showed results and I passed with good marks. My weakness is I am a perfectionist and I always strive to achieve perfection in whatever work that is given to me.
Well, that's all I've to say about myself as of now and I thank you for giving me this opportunity. It was a pleasure talking to you."
Coming to my hobbies, I like reading books as I like to keep myself updated with new things happening around and it also helps me in improving my knowledge. I like reading fiction very much. I also enjoy cooking because it requires a high level of skill and precision. I love to travel and see new places.
My strengths are my confidence, hardworking nature and positive attitude. One instance where my strengths really came in handy was in my graduation. Mathematics was (and is) very tough and I could never get along with it. Everybody thought that I wouldn't pass but I had confidence in myself that I would definitely pass. I worked hard and in the end, staying positive really showed results and I passed with good marks. My weakness is I am a perfectionist and I always strive to achieve perfection in whatever work that is given to me.
Well, that's all I've to say about myself as of now and I thank you for giving me this opportunity. It was a pleasure talking to you."
GOOD LUCK.

Great tips!!
ReplyDeleteWell written....i have my interview in the next week..will definitely use these tips..
Thank you for this!! :)
Awesome info...
ReplyDeleteI really needed this..
Thanks Christy...your views are really appreciated!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ramola...your views are really appreciated!!
ReplyDelete